If endurance fuels such as Hammer Gel, HEED, and Perpetuem are your body's gasoline, electrolytes are what keep the octane high.
Cramping is your body's final warning signal that you're on empty electrolyte-wise, and when you've reached that point, the performance of many bodily systems has been severely compromised for some time. To keep your muscular, digestive, nervous, and cardiac systems firing on all cylinders, you need a consistent supply of all of the electrolytic minerals, not just sodium and potassium.
Electrolyte loss during intense training and endurance activity is associated with fatigue, cramping dehydration, and impaired performance.
Some of the roles major electrolytes play:
Potassium: Muscle function; nerve conduction; water and acid balance; supports cardiovascular function; helps prevent muscle cramps.
Magnesium: Nerve conduction, muscle function, energy production and flow; supports cardiovascular and respiratory function; helps prevent muscle cramps.
Sodium: Nerve conduction; muscle contraction; water and acid-base balance; thirst response.
Chloride: Water and acid-base balance; oxygen exchange.
1. If you prefer to drink your electrolytes instead of consuming them via capsules, Endurolytes Fizz is he product you're looking for.
2. if you are an exceptionally high sweater, if you're exercising in extreme conditions (and especially if you are not acclimated to those conditions), or if you consume a high sodium diet, Endurolytes Extreme may be the ideal product for you.
Taking two or more Endurolytes before bed may help prevent night cramps and nighttime muscle twitching.
Use as needed but primarily when:
- Exercise lasts for more than 3 hours, regardless of temperature or humidity.
- Exercise lasts less than 3 hours and:
- Temperature is above 80 degrees and/or 70% humidity or
- Temperature and humidity is 10 degrees or more above what you are accustomed to
1-3 capsules 30-60 minutes prior to exercise
1-6 capsules each hour during exercise
1-3 capsules after workout
Powder Note: Taste will limit you to 1-3 servings per hour. If conditions warrant more, additional capsules should be used.
Body weight, level of fitness, weather conditions, acclimatization level, and biological predisposition all greatly affect electrolyte depletion so you must do your own trials with Endurolytes dosing, under a variety of conditions, to determine individual requirements.